Technology Time-Out Weekend Retreat
April 14, 2017 - April 16, 2017| $575
“My BlackBerry runs my life,” says Jenn Hoffman, Phoenix-based CEO of The J Brand Group.
She’s got a 24/7 technology habit, even checking messages from the bathroom, a Whistler ski lift, and a pool raft at L.A.’s Chateau Marmont hotel. Her boyfriend calls her laptop, which she brings to bed every night, “the other man.” (source – WebMD http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/features/when-technology-addiction-takes-over-your-life)
Can you relate to the feeling of discomfort when there isn’t a charged phone or tablet within easy reach (I can!) The dependency on social media, access to devices, and a functioning internet have been labeled an “addiction” (seriously). So, consider this weekend retreat a form of “detox”. Learn a collection of new and unusual skills and play engaging games to distract you from the digital devices that demand our daily attention. It won’t be easy, but it will be FUN!
You can participate in as many (or as few) activities as you wish. You may prefer to spend your weekend reading a paperback cover-to-cover. (No e-readers!)
Every REC Retreat is ALL-INCLUSIVE:
- delicious, catered meals, snacks and happy hours
- two nights deluxe accommodations at REC Retreats
- materials, instruction and access to specialized equipment
- wine tasting
- chair massage
Reserve a private room for the weekend. Prices listed below are in addition to the retreat fee.
– The deluxe Mt. Baker Room has a king bed, fireplace, balcony, 32″ flat screen TV and a stunning view of the sunrise over the mountains. +$150
– The cozy Writer’s Room has a full-size antique brass bed and oak rocker. There is a built-in desk if you hope to do some journaling during your retreat. Sleep soundly, thanks to the blackout shades. +$115
Possible activities (activities will vary)
- pasta making
- latte art
- cookie “flooding”
- private Lummi artist studio tour (for REC participants only!)
- chocolate truffle making
- Dinner Murder Mystery (dress up and role play – crazy fun, I promise!)
- wood burning art project
- island-wide scavenger hunt with coveted prizes
- wine and cheese tasting
- wood-fired bread baking demonstration
- yard games (weather permitting)
- open studio – bring your own projects to work on in the spacious studio
Because I personally feel it is critical to “digitally detox”, and reconnect with others in-person, this will be an annual event. And want to know a secret? It won’t be easy for me, either.
COMMUNITY CONTRIBUTION: Do you have a cell phone you are no longer using? Please bring it to the retreat, and it will be donated to the local branch of Cell Phones for Soldiers. Cell Phones For Soldiers is a national, nonprofit organization dedicated to providing cost-free communication services and emergency funding to active-duty military members and veterans. Learn more at www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com Donations for calling cards gratefully accepted.